When you send your elder to the hospital for emergency care, you should feel secure in knowing that they will be treated with the utmost care. However, it is an unfortunate truth that elders are abused during their hospital stay. So when this occurs, the negligent hospital staff must be held accountable for their despicable actions. Continue reading to learn some examples of hospital elder abuse and how an experienced California hospital elder abuse lawyer at Cowdrey & Jenkins LLP can help you in filing a lawsuit.
What are some examples of hospital elder abuse?
Hospital elder abuse can occur in many different ways, whether it be physical abuse, emotional or psychological abuse, sexual abuse, neglect or abandonment, or financial exploitation. With that being said, you should look out for these warning signs of abuse when your loved one is staying in a hospital:
- Your loved one fell and they cannot explain why.
- Your loved one has injuries (i.e., bruises, broken bones, burns, cuts, scars, or infections) that they cannot explain.
- Your loved one has unusually poor hygiene (i.e., dirty clothes or bedsores).
- Your loved one has unusually poor health (i.e., dehydration, malnutrition, or significant weight loss).
- Your loved one has a sudden change of mood (i.e., depression or signs of trauma).
- Your loved one has a sudden change of financial situation.
- Your loved one appears withdrawn from their usual activities and relationships.
- Your loved one appears to be overmedicated or receiving the wrong medication altogether.
- Your loved one was found wandering unattended.
- Your loved one expresses that they are being belittled or threatened by hospital staff.
If you or anyone else has caught glimpse of any of the above signs, it is essential that measures are taken right away to prevent any further harm to your loved one. In many cases, a person’s loved one’s life can be put in danger. Give our firm a call today to learn more about elder abuse in hospitals and how we can assist you. Our legal team is dedicated to ensuring that your loved one is safe and protected. We are here for you.
How do I take action against hospital elder abuse?
If you suspect that your elder is being abused in the hospital based on any of the above signs, then you must take immediate action against the negligent hospital staff. All the more reason to take immediate action is California’s statute of limitations when it comes to filing an elder abuse claim. Specifically, this deadline is two years from the date of the incident. And if you do not meet this, then you will ultimately be barred from suing, seeking justice, and obtaining financial compensation.
We understand that the last thing you want is for your elder to be put in further danger. To protect your vulnerable loved one, you must not hesitate in picking up the phone and talking with a skilled California elder abuse lawyer from our firm.