What Should I Do if I Suspect Residential Care Facility Abuse?

wallet and money

A residential care facility is essentially an assisted living residence, typically for elders who cannot live independently anymore. It is a sad but true fact that abuse sometimes takes place in these facilities. Sometimes, they are not immediately obvious, as they may not occur in the form of physical abuse. But regardless, any type of elder abuse is unacceptable and must be immediately stopped. If you suspect that your loved one is a victim of residential care facility abuse, then follow along to find out how a proficient California residential care facility abuse lawyer at Cowdrey & Jenkins LLP can help you seek justice.

What are the different types of elder abuse in care facilities?

In some cases, elders are unable to speak up for themselves if they are experiencing any type of abuse. This is why you must monitor them and look out for any signs that they are being treated negligently. With that being said, the different types of residential care facility abuse that you should be wary of include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Your loved one may have unexplainable cuts or bruises.
  • Your loved one may have experienced an unexplainable fall that led to an injury.
  • Your loved one may have bedsores or pressure sores.
  • Your loved one may have missing possessions or cash.
  • Your loved one may be displaying a changed behavior, such as fear around certain caregivers.

Importantly, you should always believe any outright complaints of abuse that your loved one claims, and you should intervene as soon as possible.

What should I do if I suspect my loved one is a victim of residential care facility abuse?

Once your loved one claims abuse or you suspect that abuse is taking place, you must take the following course of action:

  1. You must document the incident of abuse. This means that you should take pictures and videos of your loved one’s injuries, damages, and the overall scene. If there were present witnesses, you should ask for their contact information and if they are willing to testify. And lastly, you should collect any of your loved one’s medical documentation regarding the incident.
  2. You must report the incident of abuse to the appropriate authorities (i.e., law enforcement officers). They will ensure that your loved one is brought to safety and that an official report of the incident is documented.
  3. You must report the incident of abuse to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman CRISISline. You can reach them at 1-800-231-4024.
  4. You must report the incident of abuse to the California Department of Social Services. You can reach them at 1-844-538-8766.
  5. You must retain the services of one of the talented California elder abuse attorneys. You can reach out to us to schedule your initial consultation.